The Oracle Exadata Database Machine is the only database machine that provides extreme performance for both data warehousing and online transaction processing (OLTP) applications, making it the ideal platform for consolidating onto grids or private clouds. It is a complete package of servers, storage, networking, and software that is massively scalable, secure, and redundant. With Oracle Exadata Database Machine, customers can reduce IT costs through consolidation, manage more data on multiple compression tiers, improve performance of all applications, and make better business decisions in real time.
Database Machine Benefits
- Best Data Warehouse platform: Accelerate data warehouse query performance by at least a factor of 10x, and run more queries concurrently for faster access to business-critical information.
- Best OLTP platform: Scale to 10x more concurrent users on a highly available and cost effective platform.
- Best Consolidation platform: Replace isolated special-purpose system with a consolidated platform delivering leading performance and scalability for all database applications.
- Exadata Smart Scan processes queries at the storage layer, returning only relevant rows and columns to the database server. As a result, much less data travels over fast 40GB InfiniBand interconnects—dramatically improving the performance and concurrency of simple and complex queries.
- Exadata Smart Flash Cache addresses the disk random I/O bottleneck problem by transparently caching 'hot' frequently accessed data to fast solid-state storage. You get ten times faster I/O response time and use ten times fewer disks.
- Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression can reduce the size of data warehousing tables by an average of 10 times, and archive tables by 50 times. This offers significant savings on disk space for primary, standby and backup databases, and will dramatically improve the performance of data warehousing queries.
The Database Machine uses the Oracle Exadata Storage Servers which are highly optimized for use with the Oracle database. Exadata delivers outstanding I/O and SQL processing performance for data warehousing applications by leveraging a massively parallel architecture to enable a dynamic storage grid for Oracle Database 11g deployments. Exadata is a combination of software and hardware used to store and access the Oracle database. It provides database aware storage services, such as the ability to offload database processing from the database server to storage, and provides this while being transparent to SQL processing and your database applications. Exadata storage delivers dramatic performance improvements, with unlimited I/O scalability, is simple to use and manage, and delivers mission-critical availability and reliability to your enterprise.