IBM System x3650 M4 Rack Mount Server
Innovative design with flexibility, performance and outstanding uptime[x3650m4]
The IBM® System x3650 M4 server provides outstanding performance for your business-critical applications. Its energy-efficient design supports more cores, memory, and data capacity in a scalable 2U package that is easy to service and manage. With more computing power per watt and the latest Intel Xeon processors, you can reduce costs while maintaining speed and availability.
The x3650 M4 offers a flexible, scalable design and simple upgrade path to 16 hard-disk drives (HDDs) or solid-state drives (SSDs) plus optical and tape drives at the same time, with up to six PCIe Gen 3 slots and up to 768 GB of memory. This flexible onboard Ethernet solution provides four standard embedded Gigabit Ethernet ports and two optional embedded 10 Gb Ethernet ports without occupying PCIe slots. Comprehensive systems management tools with the next-generation Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) make it easy to deploy, integrate, service, and manage.
The x3650 M4 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v2 product family
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with 4-core and 6-core processors (up to 3.5 GHz core speeds), 8-core processors (up to 3.3 GHz core speeds), 10-core processors (up to 3.0 GHz core speeds), and 12-core processors (up to 2.7 GHz core speeds), up to 30 MB of L3 cache, and up to two 8 GT/s QPI interconnect links.
- Supports up to two processors, 24 cores, and 48 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multi-threaded applications.
- Supports up to 1866 MHz memory speeds.
- Will support up to 768 GB memory with 32 GB LRDIMMs or HCDIMMs when and if they become available.
- Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 product family
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with 8-core processors and up to 2.9 GHz core speeds, up to 20 MB of L3 cache, and up to two 8 GT/s QPI interconnect links.
- Supports up to two processors, 16 cores, and 32 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multi-threaded applications.
- Supports up to 1600 MHz memory speeds.
- Supports up to 768 GB memory with 32 GB LRDIMMs or HCDIMMs.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor TDP.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multi-threaded applications by enabling simultaneous multi-threading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVT) significantly improve floating-point performance for compute-intensive technical and scientific applications.
- Will support 12 Gbps SAS RAID portfolio when and if it becomes available.
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of, or along with, traditional spinning drives (HDDs) can significantly improve I/O performance. An SSD can support up to 100 times more I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- Up to 32 1.8-inch SSD bays, or up to 16 2.5-inch bays, or up to 6 3.5-inch bays, together with internal backup and an optical drive at the same time, provide a flexible and scalable all-in-one platform to meet your increasing demands.
- The server has four integrated Gigabit Ethernet ports and two optional 10 Gb Ethernet ports with mezzanine cards that do not consume PICe slots.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E5 family. This integration helps to dramatically reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
- Support for NVIDIA Quadro graphics processing units (GPUs) to maximize computing power
|End of Life?||No|
|Rack Units||2 U|
|CPU Socket(s)||2 Intel® Xeon® E5-2600|
|Compatible CPU(s)||E5-2603 4C 1.8GHz 10MB 1066MHz 80W;
E5-2609 4C 2.4GHz 10MB 1066MHz 80W;
E5-2620 6C 2.0GHz 15MB 1333MHz 95W;
E5-2630 6C 2.3GHz 15MB 1333MHz 95W;
E5-2630L 6C 2.0GHz 15MB 1333MHz 60W;
E5-2637 2C 3.0GHz 5MB 1600MHz 80W;
E5-2640 6C 2.5GHz 15MB 1333MHz 95W;
E5-2643 4C 3.3GHz 10MB 1600MHz 130W;
E5-2650 8C 2.0GHz 20MB 1600MHz 95W;
E5-2650L 8C 1.8GHz 20MB 1600MHz 70W;
E5-2660 8C 2.2GHz 20MB 1600MHz 95W;
E5-2665 8C 2.4GHz 20MB 1600MHz 115W;
E5-2667 6C 2.9GHz 15MB 1600MHz 130W;
E5-2670 8C 2.6GHz 20MB 1600MHz 115W;
E5-2680 8C 2.7GHz 20MB 1600MHz 130W;
E5-2690 8C 2.9GHz 20MB 1600MHz 135W;
|Max CPU Clk Spd||Up to 2.9 GHz|
|CPU Cache||10, 15 or 20 MB per CPU|
|Max # Core(s)||2, 4, 6 or 8 Cores per CPU|
|Memory Slot(s)||24 DIMMS (12 per CPU)|
|Memory Capacity||Up to 768 GB|
|Memory Expansion||E5-2600 v2:
|Drive Bays||Up to 32 1.8" SSD bays, or 16 2.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA bays, or up to six 3.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA bays, or up to eight 2.5" Simple Swap SATA bays, or up to six 3.5" Simple Swap SATA bays.|
|Capacity||Up to 19.2 TB with 1.2 TB 2.5" SAS HDDs, up to 16 TB with 1 TB 2.5" NL SAS/SATA HDDs, up to 12.8 TB with 400 GB 1.8" SATA SSDs, up to 25.6 TB with 1.6 TB 2.5" SAS SSDs, or up to 24 TB with 4 TB 3.5" NL SAS/SATA HDDs. Intermix of SAS/SATA is supported.|
|RAID Controller||ServeRAID M5100|
|RAID Options||6 Gb SAS/SATA: RAID 0, 1, 10 with integrated M5110e or optional M5110; optional upgrades to RAID 5, 50 are available (zero-cache; 512 MB battery-backed cache; 512 MB or 1 GB flash-backed cache). Optional upgrade to RAID 6, 60 is available for M5110e or M5110 with 512 MB or 1 GB cache upgrades.
12 Gb SAS/SATA (support is planned for later in 2013): RAID 0, 1, 10 with optional M5210; optional upgrades to RAID 5, 50 are available (zero-cache; 1 GB non-backed cache; 1 GB or 2 GB flash-backed cache). Optional upgrade to RAID 6, 60 is available for M5210 with 1 GB or 2 GB cache upgrades.
|Supported OS||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (support is planned for earlier in 2014), 2012, 2008 R2 and 2008, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and 11, VMware ESX 4.1 and VMware ESXi 4.1 embedded hypervisor (not supported with E5-2600 v2 models), VMware vSphere 5 (ESXi) and vSphere 5.1 (ESXi).|
|USB Port(s)||2 front/4 back/2 internal|
|PCI Slot(s)||Up to six slots depending on the riser cards installed. The slots are as follows:
|Serial Ports||1x DB-9 Serial Port|
|LAN Socket(s)||Four integrated Gigabit Ethernet 1000BASE-T ports (RJ-45); two embedded 10 Gb Ethernet ports (10GBASE-T RJ-45 or 10GBASE-SR SFP+ based) on optional 10 Gb Ethernet mezzanine card (does not consume PCIe slot).|
|Graphics||Matrox G200eR2 with 16 MB memory integrated into the IMM2. Maximum resolution is 1600x1200 at 75 Hz with 16 M colors.|
|Standard||Three-year customer-replaceable unit and on-site limited warranty with 9x5 next business day (NBD).|
|Optional||Optional service upgrades are available through IBM ServicePacs®: Four-hour or two-hour response time, eight-hour fix time, one-year or two-year warranty extension, remote technical support for IBM hardware and some IBM and third-party applications.|