IBM System x3550 M4 Rack Mount Server
Performance, flexibility, cost and density—perfectly balanced[x3550m4]
The IBM® System x3550 M4 server provides outstanding performance for your business-critical applications. Its energy-efficient design supports more cores, memory, and data capacity in a compact 1U package that is easy to service and manage. With more computing power per watt and the latest Intel Xeon processors, you can reduce costs while maintaining speed and availability.
The x3550 M4 offers a flexible, scalable design and a simple upgrade path to eight HDDs plus an optical drive at the same time, and up to 768 GB of memory. The flexible onboard Ethernet solution provides four standard integrated Gigabit Ethernet ports and two optional embedded 10 Gb Ethernet ports without occupying PCIe slots. Comprehensive systems management tools with the next-generation Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) make it easy to deploy, integrate, service, and manage.
Combining balanced performance and flexibility, the x3550 M4 is a great choice for small and medium businesses and up to the large enterprise. It can provide outstanding uptime to keep business-critical applications and cloud deployments running safely. Ease-of-use and comprehensive systems management tools make it easy to deploy. Outstanding RAS and high-efficiency design improves your business environment and helps save operational costs.
The x3550 M4 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v2 product family
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with 4-core and 6-core processors (up to 3.5 GHz core speeds), 8-core processors (up to 3.3 GHz core speeds), 10-core processors (up to 3.0 GHz), and 12-core processors (up to 2.7 GHz core speeds), up to 30 MB of L3 cache, and up to two 8 GT/s QPI interconnect links.
- Supports up to two processors, 24 cores, and 48 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multi-threaded applications.
- Supports up to 1866 MHz memory speeds.
- Will support up to 768 GB memory with 32 GB LRDIMMs when and if they become available.
- Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 product family
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with 8-core processors and up to 2.9 GHz core speeds, up to 20 MB of L3 cache, and up to two 8 GT/s QPI interconnect links.
- Supports up to two processors, 16 cores, and 32 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multi-threaded applications.
- Supports up to 1600 MHz memory speeds.
- Supports up to 768 GB memory with 32 GB LRDIMMs.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor TDP.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVT) significantly improve floating point performance for compute-intensive technical and scientific applications compared to Intel Xeon 5600 series processors.
- Will support 12 Gbps SAS RAID portfolio when and if it becomes available.
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of or along with traditional spinning drives (HDDs) can significantly improve I/O performance. An SSD can support up to 100 times more I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- The server has four integrated Gigabit Ethernet ports and two optional 10 Gb Ethernet ports with mezzanine cards that do not consume a PCIe slot.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding). With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E5 family. This helps to dramatically reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
- Support for NVIDIA Quadro graphics processing units (GPUs) to maximize computing power.
|End of Life?||No|
|Rack Units||1 U|
|CPU Socket(s)||Up to two 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2 series processors|
|Compatible CPU(s)||Intel Xeon E5-2603 v2 4C 1.8GHz 10MB Cache 1333MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2609 v2 4C 2.5GHz 10MB Cache 1333MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 6C 2.1GHz 15MB Cache 1600MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2628L v2 8C 1.9GHz 20MB Cache 1600MHz 70W;
Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 6C 2.6GHz 15MB Cache 1600MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2630L v2 6C 2.4GHz 15MB Cache 1600MHz 60W;
Intel Xeon E5-2637 v2 4C 3.5GHz 15MB Cache 1866MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2640 v2 8C 2.0GHz 20MB Cache 1600MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2643 v2 6C 3.5GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2648L v2 10C 1.9GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 70W;
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2 8C 2.6GHz 20MB Cache 1866MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2650L v2 10C 1.7GHz 25MB Cache 1600MHz 70W;
Intel Xeon E5-2660 v2 10C 2.2GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 8C 3.3GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 10C 2.5GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 115W;
Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2 10C 2.8GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 115W;
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 10C 3.0GHz 25MB Cache 1866MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2695 v2 12C 2.4GHz 30MB Cache 1866MHz 115W;
Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 12C 2.7GHz 30MB Cache 1866MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2603 4C 1.8GHz 10MB 1066MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2609 4C 2.4GHz 10MB 1066MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2620 6C 2.0GHz 15MB 1333MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2630 6C 2.3GHz 15MB 1333MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2630L 6C 2.0GHz 15MB 1333MHz 60W;
Intel Xeon E5-2637 2C 3.0GHz 5MB 1600MHz 80W;
Intel Xeon E5-2640 6C 2.5GHz 15MB 1333MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2643 4C 3.3GHz 10MB 1600MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2648L 8C 1.8GHz 20MB 1600MHz 70W;
Intel Xeon E5-2650 8C 2.0GHz 20MB 1600MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2650L 8C 1.8GHz 20MB 1600MHz 70W;
Intel Xeon E5-2658 8C 2.1GHz 20MB 1600MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2660 8C 2.2GHz 20MB 1600MHz 95W;
Intel Xeon E5-2665 8C 2.4GHz 20MB 1600MHz 115W;
Intel Xeon E5-2667 6C 2.9GHz 15MB 1600MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2670 8C 2.6GHz 20MB 1600MHz 115W;
Intel Xeon E5-2680 8C 2.7GHz 20MB 1600MHz 130W;
Intel Xeon E5-2690 8C 2.9GHz 20MB 1600MHz 135W
|Max CPU Clk Spd||Up to 3.5 GHz|
|CPU Cache||5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 MB per CPU|
|Max # Core(s)||2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 per CPU|
|Memory Slot(s)||Up to 24 DIMM sockets (12 DIMMs per processor).|
|Memory Capacity||768 GB|
|Memory Expansion||E5-2600 v2:
With RDIMMs: Up to 384 GB with 24x 16 GB RDIMMs and two processors
With LRDIMMs (support is planned for later in 2013): Up to 768 GB with 24x 32 GB LRDIMMs and two processors
With RDIMMs: Up to 384 GB with 24x 16 GB RDIMMs and two processors
With UDIMMs: Up to 64 GB with 16x 4 GB UDIMMs and two processors
With LRDIMMs: Up to 768 GB with 24x 32 GB LRDIMMs and two processors
|Drive Bays||Up to eight 2.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA HDDs, or up to three 3.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA HDDs, or up to three 3.5" Simple Swap SATA HDDs.|
|Capacity||Up to 7.2 TB with 900 GB 2.5" SAS HDDs (E5-2600 v2), or up to 9.6 TB with 1.2 TB 2.5" SAS HDDs (E5-2600), or up to 8 TB with 1 TB 2.5" NL SAS/SATA HDDs, or up to 12.8 TB with 1.6 TB 2.5" SAS SSDs, or up to 12 TB with 4 TB 3.5" NL SAS/SATA HDDs. Intermix o|
|HDD Suitability||2.5" NL SATA Hot-Swap HDDs;
2.5" NL SAS Hot-Swap HDDs;
2.5" SAS Hot-Swap HDDs;
3.5" NL SAS Hot-Swap HDDs;
3.5" NL SATA Hot-swap HDDs;
3.5" NL SATA Simple-Swap HDDs;
|RAID Controller||ServeRAID H1110, M1115, M1100, M5110, or M5100|
|RAID Options||6 Gb SAS/SATA: RAID 0, 1, 10 with H1110, M1115 or M5110. Optional upgrades to RAID 5, 50 available for M1115. Optional upgrades to RAID 5, 50 are available for M5110 (zero-cache; 512 MB battery-backed cache; 512 MB or 1 GB flash-backed cache). Optional upgrade to RAID 6, 60 are available for M5110 with 512 MB or 1 GB cache upgrades.
12 Gb SAS/SATA (support is planned for later in 2013): RAID 0, 1, 10 with optional M5210. Optional upgrades to RAID 5, 50 are available for M5210 (zero-cache; 1 GB non-backed cache; 1 GB or 2 GB flash-backed cache). Optional upgrade to RAID 6, 60 are available for M5210 with 1 GB or 2 GB cache upgrades.
|Supported OS||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (support is planned for earlier in 2014), 2012, 2008 R2 and 2008, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and 11, VMware ESX 4.1 and VMware ESXi 4.1 embedded hypervisor (E5-2600 only), VMware vSphere 5.|
|USB Port(s)||2 (three for 3.5" model) front/4 back/1 internal|
|PCI Slot(s)||Two slots, depending on the riser cards installed. The slots are as follows (all PCIe slots are PCIe 3.0, all PCI-X slots are 64 bit/133 MHz):
Slot 1: PCIe x16; low profile, half-length
Slot 2: PCIe x8, opt. PCI-X or PCIe x16; full-height/half-length (PCIe x16 req. 2nd CPU)
Additional dedicated slot for ServeRAID adapter.
|LAN Socket(s)||Four integrated Gigabit Ethernet 1000BASE-T ports (RJ-45); two integrated 10 Gb Ethernet ports (10GBASE-T RJ-45 or 10GBASE-SR SFP+ based) on optional 10 Gb Ethernet mezzanine card (does not consume a PCIe slot).|
|Graphics||Matrox G200eR2 with 16 MB memory integrated into the IMM2. Maximum resolution is 1600x1200 at 75 Hz with 16 M colors.|
|Standard||Three-year customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty with 9x5/NBD.|
|Optional||Optional service upgrades are available through IBM ServicePacs®: 4-hour or 2-hour response time, 8 hours fix time, one-year or two-year warranty extension, remote technical support for IBM hardware and selected IBM and third-party (Microsoft, Linux, VMware) software.|